Thursday, November 14, 2019

From This Valley They Say You Are Leaving... 2007


A rainbow over the Slickrock Trail at Moab, Utah - Click for larger image (http://jamesmcgillis.com)

From This Valley They Say You Are Leaving...

On Friday September 28, 2007 I will depart from Moab, Utah. After leaving Durango on the Autumnal Equinox, I met Carrie late that evening at the airport in Grand Junction, now touted as the center of Colorado’s wine country. From there, we drove the 110 miles to Moab, much of it in a heavy rainstorm. Upon arrival in Moab, the early storm had passed, so we did a quick setup of the coach and turned in for the night.
 
Having lived in my travel trailer for the better part of the past two years, the sound of rain falling overnight was a comfort to me. Spokesmodel Carrie McCoy, overlooking the Spanish Valley and Moab Rim beyond - Click for larger image (http://jamesmcgillis.com)In the morning, Carrie was amazed that I could sleep through a downpour of such biblical proportions, but sleep I did. As we drove around town the next day, I was confused upon seeing how much red earth had washed across the roads. Until we arrived at the Colorado River, I was skeptical that the overnight downpour could have caused such a shift in the landscape.
As you can see, by the next afternoon, it was a clear and beautiful day.
 
Small rapids in the Colorado River, near Castle Valley, Utah - Click for larger image (http://jamesmcgillis.com)On our way up-river towards Castle Valley, I was amazed to see how much the river had risen and how turbulent and red its fabled waters flowed.
 
At Castle Valley itself, we found a display of light unlike any I had previously seen. Between the clouds, the late afternoon Sun and the geological features there, it was a sight to behold and to remember.  In this area, it is all too easy to take such breathtaking sights as commonplace.   Still, Mother Nature has her ability to stop you in your tracks and make you take notice.
Classic Utah sights worth seeing include this butte and pinnacle at Castle Valley - Click for larger image (http://jamesmcgillis.com)
 
After three days together in this most spiritual of lands, Carrie flew back to Burbank, California on Wednesday. I spent one additional day here in Moab. My excuse for doing so was to clean up some computer work and get ready for a three-day trip home to Simi Valley, California. Moab and the  Spanish Valley are now like old friends. Once you know them, you never want to leave them, but leave I must.The crest of the Moab Rim near sundown - Click for larger image (http://jamesmcgillis.com)
 
On Friday, I will stop at Navajo National Monument for one night of dry camping at 7300 ft.  It is the best free camping in the Four Corners area.  Also within the monument are some of the best preserved Pre-Puebloan Indian cliff and alcove dwellings, dating to around 1250 AD.
 
After a long pull, through Flagstaff, Arizona and Needles, California on Interstate 40, I will spend this Saturday night at Mojave National Preserve, a 1.4 million acre unspoiled desert paradise.  although hot in the summer, from late September until early April it is a wonderful place to spend a night or two during your travels on I-40.
Author Jim McGillis in front of model home at Pueblo Verde, Moab, Utah - Click for larger image (http://jamesmcgillis.com)
 
I was pleased to discover that on her first trip here, Carrie loved Moab as much as I do. We are looking forward to spending time here each year. 
 
On Sunday, I will pull all the way to Simi Valley, California, where Carrie and I will be together again.
 
We appreciate your comments.  To contact us via email, simply click on our signature.

No comments:

Post a Comment